The Eugowra Museum and Bushranger Centre was opened by Cabonne Council Mayor John Farr on 25th and 26th October 2003. This building was formerly a stock and station agent's shop, but with government grants, gifts and lots of volunteer labour, it was refurbished into a great little building holding a huge variety of antiques and old wares from Eugowra's past. Robert Ellis actually first started the museum years before at his home in Norton Street, and this was subsequently run by Hilton and Jean Clements, grandchildren of Hanbury Clements, pioneer of the town of Eugowra and of Escort Rock fame. Much of Robert's collection was given to the Museum, when the Eugowra Promotion and Progress Association (EPPA) undertook to operate it.
Eugowra's claim to fame in most Australian history books is as the place where bushrangers held up the gold escort coach on 15th June, 1862, on its way to Bathurst. This turned out to be very worthwhile for the gang, who got away with fourteen thousand pounds worth of gold and banknotes. It was the biggest gold robbery in Australia's history and in today's money would be worth about $4 million.
The Museum has two full-size prints of paintings by Patrick William Morony, depicting the gold escort robbery and bushrangers attacking Goimbla. The original paintings are held in the National Library of Australia in Canberra. There is also an extensive collection of reference books and research papers related to the bushrangers. Some locally written publications with bushranger stories are for sale at the Museum. Also for sale are card/envelope sets depicting three of Patrick Morony's bushranger paintings.